Monday 1 April 2024

Easter Monday 2024

The first Sand Martins were back on the river on Good Friday…

But apart from excellent numbers of singing Chiffchaffs no other summer migrants have made it to the village so far. Pick of the birds though was a distant Coot, on the flood pool on Ladyfield, a surprisingly rare bird in the parish…

The sunshine at Easter did bring out a few insects too with a number of reports of Brimstone, two Peacocks and a Small Tortoiseshell…

And the first Bee-flys with four on a willow trunk by the river.


These were all Dark-bordered, the only one we get up here, but at least one other species is moving rapidly north so worth keeping an eye out…

A few bees too with (I think!) Early Mining Bee…

And Ashy Mining Bee…


I also managed a trip up Ingleborough this weekend to see Purple Saxifrage, I definitely knew I had walked to the summit when I got into bed that night but it was a glorious day…


No comments:

Post a Comment