Sunday 7 April 2019

7th April


A relatively quiet weekend but I did visit the river north of the bridge yesterday. This is one of the best parts of the patch with willow and hawthorn near the water (affectionately known as Warbler Corner) and a small oxbow pool.
I saw my first Blackcap of the year along the old railway line but as I tried to photograph it there was a temporary distraction…


Lots of Chiffchaffs were singing, a Grey Wagtail was near the waterworks along with the first Marsh Tit that I've seen for two or three years. As I approached the oxbow I flushed two pairs of Teal and a Green Sandpiper. Over the river there were good numbers of Sand Martins but feeding very high, on the water itself around 100 large gulls (mainly Herring), two pairs of Oystercatchers, three Little Egret and two pairs of Goosander…


I met Andy J down here and he had had two Swallows around Morton Bridge earlier. No sign as we walked back but as I was about to leave a single bird flew in to feed around the old barn, always one of the highlights of spring.

Year list to end of March: 78 species       

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to see my first Swallows, they don't usually appear till the end of the month though.

    ReplyDelete