Monday 27 May 2019

27th May


It has been a very quiet period in the parish hence the lack of recent posts. The only 'highlights' have been the Swifts returning in numbers since I last posted and Jim and Sue ringing to say the Spotted Flycatcher had reappeared in its regular haunt down Vicarage Lane on the 20th. I managed to see it but have failed so far to get anything other than a distant dot on the camera. This now looks to be the only pair in the whole village.  
Jim and Sue also had this Red-legged Partridge on their garden wall…


A species I have unaccountably failed to see myself so far this year.

I also saw my first odonata this week in the Magic Garden with Blue-tailed Damselfly, Banded Demoiselle and Large Red Damselfly…


Including this one happily munching a gnat on my son’s t-shirt…


Otherwise I’ve been out of the village on the trail of plants again with Lady’s Slipper orchid in the Dales…


this rather primitive Herb Paris in a lovely piece of ancient woodland near Rievaulx Abbey…


And these Burnt Tip orchid flowering near Leyburn… 



No comments:

Post a Comment