Sunday 23 June 2019

23rd June


I still hadn’t caught up with Little Owl this year so when my wife rang to say she had seen one on her run, I headed down Thrintoft Lane (along with our neighbour Sue who for some reason had never managed to see Little Owl). Fortunately the bird was still there…


This seems to be the last bird/territory in the parish. I’ve mentioned before the apparent catastrophic decline in Little Owl numbers, I’m still not clear what has caused it or whether this is reflected elsewhere.
Nice to hear two Lesser Whitethroat singing down here as I haven’t had them in this area before.  

Elsewhere the Meadow Rue is starting to flower in the Magic Garden…


Just part of this tiny patch of fabulous habitat, and a reminder of how rich this area once was…


I must mention orchids again, a couple of trips this week. First up to a beautiful site in Arkengarthdale where we found these beautiful, and rare, Small White Orchids…


And yesterday I went to see the atrata form of Northern Marsh Orchid….


The only British site for this form is a couple of fields near Hartlepool nuclear power station! A bit of a contrast with the Yorkshire Dales...

1 comment: