Sunday 18 August 2019

18th August


Yesterday I had my first walk along the river for a few weeks. First bird was a Kestrel following the line of the river and then a huge female Sparrowhawk, which spiralled up and then it too followed the river south. A second Kestrel followed and as I was looking at this I almost missed an Osprey, again moving south down the river. By the time I got the camera on it, it was already past (pushed on by a blustery wind)…

Not surprisingly given the recent rain the river was running very high so there was no wader habitat but I did flush five Snipe and later saw a Greenshank flying along the river (my first of the year). A group of four Little Egret were on Big Bend


I also saw my first Sedge Warbler, in rank vegetation on the far bank, and two Yellow Wagtails. A third Kestrel passed over and then small number of Buzzards flying high south. As I watched these birds I picked up two Swift which flew in ahead of the storm clouds. Not a bad morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment