Sunday 15 September 2019

15th September


Another exceptionally quiet week for birds. The one highlight was my first Peregrine of the year, it was perched in a field along Potter’s Lane on Friday evening. Unfortunately it saw me before I saw it so the tiny dots in my photos aren’t even worth posting. As it flew away it did a half-stoop at a flushed Woodpigeon and knocked it to the ground but didn’t stop to take advantage and the lucky pigeon lived to fight another day.
Also along the river were the first returning Meadow Pipits, a Yellow Wagtail, 20+ Swallows, at least three (singing) Chiffchaffs, Little Egret, a pair of Mute Swan and a single Goosander. Not a single wader seen or heard and, although Pinkfeet are now starting to move through Yorkshire I had to make do with a skein of Greylags…


A relatively quiet week for butterflies too although there were still Painted Ladies around and I also spotted a Small Copper along Greenhills Lane, quite a common butterfly but surprisingly scarce in the parish. This is only my third sighting in the last ten years…


The start of the real fungi season too with this striking one seen in the Magic Garden. It’s one of the Ganoderma species, possibly G. australe (The Southern Bracket)...


No comments:

Post a Comment