Sunday 5 January 2020

5th January


It’s been a shamefully long time since I last posted but it has been a reflection of an incredibly quiet winter so far. Hence only a feeble year total of 97 species for 2019, the lowest since I started keeping a record of the birds seen in the parish. Amongst the ‘lowlights’, no Red-legged Partridge, no Wheatear or Siskin, only a single Little Owl etc. etc. Here’s to a more productive 2020!

Today was the first chance to properly get out. The main target was a large flock of Greylags which have taken up temporary residence in the fields below Sedgefield House. They aren’t easy to view but I tallied up over 400 birds. As I scanned them I spotted a couple of different looking birds, Taiga Bean Geese! A new species for the parish. A brilliant start to the new year…

Elsewhere it was fairly quiet but I did see two Jays, around 50 Lapwing, a Great Black-backed Gull (a species I missed last year) and good numbers of Fieldfare….



1 comment:

  1. That's how to start the year, a very nice tick!

    ReplyDelete