Sunday 26 April 2020

26th April


Bird of the week was undoubtedly the Hobby which I first saw as an interesting, but unidentified, blob in one of the huge arable fields down Greenhills Lane. It eventually took off and gave some good views although you would never guess from the single photo I managed!!


This is the earliest I have had in the parish. Other migration has been generally slow with the village swallows only really back in any numbers this week. An early Lesser Whitethroat was on Langlands on 19th and I had four birds singing down Greenhills Lane yesterday. My first Common Whitethroat was on 23rd but again they were widespread by my walk this morning…   


No Swifts yet although they have been seen over Scruton and I thought I had one over Morton this morning, in fact it was a distant Hobby, presumably the bird from yesterday.
Other things from my morning walk today…


A socially-isolating Grey Heron…
Two pairs of Buzzards which are common now but are still a thrill to see, particularly when they are performing their display flight.


And this smart little insect with, in flight, a brilliant yellow abdomen. I think it’s one of the nomad bees but it's hard to distinguish the species…


The only other birds added to my village year list this week have been a single Snipe and Red-legged Partridge (a species I didn't see at all last year)…



1 comment: