Sunday 15 November 2020

15th November

It’s been a little while since I last posted. This week has seen good numbers of Curlews feeding around the village both on the flood meadows and on the cropped potato fields. It’s hard to get a full count as they are spread widely but these photos show some of a flock of 200+ that was on the remnant flood pools by the railway bridge…


Two Oystercatchers in the mist were the only other waders of note and continue a recent series of winter records of Oycs

This pool also attracted a few duck with half a dozen Teal and seven Wigeon…

A few Whoopers have been noted this month, I had a skein of 18 over Morton-on-Swale, a dozen were seen over Warlaby and Andy had a superb flock of 40 which flew in and landed on the floodwater along Potter’s Lane (not entirely fair given how many times I walk along there!).

Other sightings of note since I last posted include a Stonechat found by Chris on the path to Thrintoft and Tracy had a very close encounter with a Barn Owl at the end of Greenhills Lane. My wife had excellent views of a Peregrine half-heartedly stooping at Woodpigeons along Manor Lane and Chris found a very late Common Sandpiper on the river. When I went (unsuccessfully) looking for this bird I found six Grey Wagtails roosting together by the river bank. 

No comments:

Post a Comment