Sunday 28 March 2021

28th March 2021

Siskin are surprisingly scarce in the village but about this time each year I nearly always get the odd bird dropping into the garden. This year was no exception…

And as usual it was there for a few minutes and then not seen again. I also added Red-legged Partridge to the year list with a bird flying into the solar farm.

In terms of summer migrants Chiffchaffs have arrived in some numbers with at least 11 singing birds counted this weekend…

And Chris had a single Sand Martin on the river. 

Otherwise it has been exceptionally  quiet although I did have a mouse’s-eye view of this Kestrel…

On the botany front I have added a couple of plants to the parish list. The first was Siberian Bugloss (or Great Forget-me-not) found on a roadside bank.

This is a naturalised garden plant. This might also be the case with the second find, some large drifts of Sweet Violet…

But given the setting I think it is as likely they are genuinely wild plants. Today I found a colony of the white-flowered form of the same species…


I'll finish with the only other flying thing of note, this massive Globemaster doing (very!) low circuits over the village this week...


No comments:

Post a Comment