Sunday 9 June 2024

9th June 2024

Bird highlight this week was undoubtedly the two Avocets I found on the small floodwater pool near Langlands. This is my first sighting in the parish.


I have trudged the couple of miles to this pool right through April and May and have basically seen nothing so I nearly didn’t bother yesterday.

A couple of years ago I drew up a list of target species I would like to see in the village, with these birds it’s now only White-fronted Goose and Ring Ouzel outstanding.

This was a short local week as I have just come back from a great trip to the Carpathian mountains in Romania. As well as superb landscapes and interesting history/culture I saw some cracking wildlife…




Wallcreeper (yay!!)


Map butterfly

Tau Emperor moth

Bird's Nest Orchid

Black Redstart

Yellow Wagtail (Dombrowskii)


Fire Salamander


Bee-eater

Sand Lizard

 

1 comment:

  1. What wonderful pictures Nick. Looks like an exciting trip.Hazel

    ReplyDelete