Monday 13 July 2020

13th July

A week of mixed weather and few sightings of note but I added Small Skipper to my 2020 butterfly list…


In the same patch of grass and nettles there was this fresh Shaded Broad-bar moth...


And this slightly sinister mass of Peacock butterfly caterpillars…


In terms of dragonflies I missed yet another Broad-bodied Chaser in the village (fourth of the year) but I did see my first Southern hawkers.


Rarest find was this Wool Carder Bee (photographed by Chris Knight). A mainly southern species, this was the first record for the parish but also the first for north-west Yorkshire.


I’ll finish with this sighting outside the parish, Yorkshire (or Thistle) Broomrape. A rare plant now only known from a handful of UK sites and all of them in Yorkshire.


A really striking species which lacks leaves and chlorophyll and gains its nutrition by parasitizing thistles. With such a common host plant it seems strange that it isn’t much more widespread.

No comments:

Post a Comment