Monday 20 July 2020

20th July

I saw the first Purple Hairstreaks this week with six down the avenue of oaks along Greenhills Lane. I had 22 down here last year so I need to do another systematic count when the weather obliges.
One bonus of staring up at the top of trees is I picked up a superb Hobby passing over. This followed Hobby sightings at Thrintoft and over Ladyfield this week.
The only other bird record of note was what was only my second sighting of Red-legged Partridge this year…


One group that I keep meaning to get to know better are the hoverflies but they are a daunting prospect, these are some of the commoner and more straightforward ones…

Marmalade hoverfly, probably the commonest of them all

This is a Drone Fly, a good mimic of honeybees, and the rather distinctive one below is Long Hoverfly (imaginative!)...


I think this one is Eupeodes luniger, a common migrant...


and this is Pellucid Hoverfly, the largest British species...


My only interesting plant find this week was this Nettle-leaved Bellflower growing on a hedgebank down Warlaby Lane. A scarce plant here and the first record for the parish…


2 comments:

  1. Sadly (but a plus side for them) - the purple hairstreaks should be safer this year Nick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, rub in the fact I haven't seen Spotted Flycatcher this year!

      Delete