Sunday 3 April 2022

3rd April 2022

A walk along the river downstream of Morton bridge yesterday tallied up four singing Corn Bunting, six Goosander, four Buzzards (including a mating pair!), two Golden Plover, two Little Egrets…

Five Teal…

And my first Snipe (two) of the year.

Given the very low temperatures it perhaps wasn’t surprising that I didn’t see any Sand Martins (although I had two the previous weekend) but there were small numbers of Chiffchaffs moving through the riverside vegetation…

Best sighting though was a superb pair of Otter. I had heard some splashing and expected to see duck but it was the two animals rolling around each other and swimming into what may be their holt under a fallen tree. Unfortunately, my photos were so bad they aren’t worth including!

When I got home, I had a call from Simon at Nosterfield that a White-tailed Eagle had just flown over the reserve and was potentially heading our way. Jim and I rushed out to the top fields but no luck and it later turned out it had swung east and passed well to the south. This actually wouldn’t have been a new bird for the village as I saw one of these magnificent eagles a few years ago flying over Langlands farm.

Today I walked upstream of Morton bridge and immediately flushed three Green Sandpipers from a shingle spit. Other sightings included two Kingfishers, another two Little Egrets, half a dozen Sand Martins and a flock of 25 Golden Plover.

I’ll finish with a nice portrait of a flying Greylag from yesterday…


No comments:

Post a Comment