Sunday 24 April 2022

24th April 2022

Although it has been a week of sunshine it’s also seen surprisingly cold winds. Despite this I have notched up 12 species of butterfly in the village this week including probably my first April record of Painted Lady…

And always nice to see Holly Blue (appropriately enough in the holly hedge along Manor Lane) although much more difficult to photograph!

Bird migrants on the other hand definitely seem to have been impacted by the cool winds with little sign of passage although I did spot my first Wheatear of the year, even nicer it was only a two-minute walk from my front door…

And I also saw my first Whitethroat and Yellow Wagtails this week…

Sand Martins seemed to have arrived in big numbers last week and the main colony in the parish was alive with activity but when I visited this weekend there wasn’t a single bird there. Have they abandoned it or is this just a temporary pause until the weather warms up?

Other sightings included a low flying Osprey seen by our neighbour Tom and along the river, four Little Egret, four Teal, eight Goosander, Green Sandpiper, five singing Corn Bunting and eight Buzzards including this one under assault from a Carrion Crow.

As you can see it went in feet first and at one point landed on the Buzzard’s back.

I also added a new plant species for the parish list, Marsh Marigold… 

A relatively common plant so I was surprised that I hadn’t recorded it until this weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment