Monday 2 May 2022

2nd May 2022

John came to do some bird ringing in the wild garden at Ladyfield on Friday. A total of 27 birds ringed which was ok considering there was so little sign of movement. A pair of Blackcap, a Willow Warbler and five Chiffchaff were the only summer migrants… 



Other birds caught included Treecreeper, Bullfinch, Reed Bunting and a couple of Goldcrests, including this male…

Yesterday I walked down from Ainderby to the river and then along to Morton bridge. My first Lesser Whitethroat was singing on Langlands and there were now good numbers of Common Whitethroats seen along the route. Six singing Corn Buntings (depressingly outnumbering Yellowhammers now), three pairs of Grey Partridge, three Yellow Wagtails, Kingfisher, three Cormorants…

...Five Oystercatchers, Green Sandpiper, four Little Egrets and good numbers of Sand Martins…  

More surprisingly there was still a small flock of Fieldfare feeding on the pasture at Langlands. The latest I have ever seen them in the parish.

In my last post I was bemoaning the scarcity of Hares in recent months but today I saw at least eight individuals. Fantastic animals…

Less positively this Mink was hunting along the river bank. The first I’ve seen for many months...

No comments:

Post a Comment