Saturday 30 April 2016

30th April

A glorious day but evidence of the recent hard weather was still visible on the distant Pennines looming above Pen Hill.


On the river I added a pair of Common Sandpiper to my year list...



And by the railway crossing I had my first Whitethroat of the year (it is one honestly!)


The muck heaps are no more but the fields here turned up another couple of Wheatear, two Yellow Wagtails and a handful of Skylarks. One of the latter unusually stayed still long enough to be briefly photographed…


As I crossed back over the railway I saw two Rabbits chasing a Stoat along the line. It ran almost to my feet before veering off into the brambles.

On Thursday there were at least seven Wheatears in a single ridge-and-furrow field down Green Hills lane (a record count for the parish). These birds were interspersed amongst 26 tardy Fieldfares. I wonder if the thrushes will make it into May?


No comments:

Post a Comment